Search results

  1. FORD's failure to fix the ESCAPE PHEV is a problem for me. Trust FORD?

    I think Ford should replace the batteries, but only if defective, I agree with that. Ford determined/estimated that only about 1% of vehicles are affected, the new software will trigger a replacement under warranty if the defect is detected, and replacing every battery when only a small number...
  2. FORD's failure to fix the ESCAPE PHEV is a problem for me. Trust FORD?

    I read that it affects somewhere around 20,000 vehicles, that it is the HVB made by Samsung (not Ford) and the temporary fix is to keep the thing from catching fire until you can have a complete battery replacement. Also it affected Jeep, Audi and Ford PEVs which used the Samsung batteries. So...
  3. Fathom - Possible Midgate Patent - US 2025/0333118 A1

    Were there problems with the midgate, such as water etc getting in to the cabin, or security issues in trucks with a midgate? Ford has plenty of legacy water intrusion issues already in the F-150, hopefully gone from the Fathom.
  4. Fathom - Possible Midgate Patent - US 2025/0333118 A1

    It would be a nice feature. The flip-book preview and the patent filings suggest it will be a feature of the Fathom. Time will tell.
  5. Fathom - Possible Midgate Patent - US 2025/0333118 A1

    Didn't the Silverado already have something like that, the "multi-flex midgate?" https://www.barryschevrolet.com/using-the-silverado-ev-multi-flex-midgate/
  6. Charging Recommendations & Best Practices for the LFP battery in the Fathom

    Numbers differ about charge cycles to 80% capacity. For LFP, 8,000 is an outside number, usually more realistically 5,000-6,000. And I've always heard at least 2,000 cycles as the number for NMC not 1500. The empirical real-life studies I've have seen say up to as many as 3,000 cycles...
  7. This is my solar powered trailer which puts out 5 1/2 kilowatts in the array which charge my electric car in Burning Man and which I do rent out to Ye

    Thanks for the offer - but it's a long way from here in N Va to SF, practically coast-to-coast. So what did it cost you to build? How many kWh in your Rivian truck battery? Are you thinking about buying a Fathom? I have a 2023 Ford F-150 Pro bought in Jan 2024. I didn't really need that big of...
  8. What features do you hope the Fathom might have?

    They could have made the NACS AC and DC on the dual port vehicle, which if done on the Fathom, would save someone from needing an adapter.
  9. What features do you hope the Fathom might have?

    Oh, now I see what you are getting at, the NACS port is DC only on the vehicle. But there are NACS to J1772 adapters for that situation - I bought one when I frist bought my Lightning. https://a2zev.com/products/nacs-j1772-stellar But if you charge at home and are a long-time non-Tesla EV...
  10. What features do you hope the Fathom might have?

    If interested, how an NACS vehicle can charge AC or DC with the NACS standard, and how it detects which is being supplied: How NACS Detects Source Type: Control Pilot (CP) Communication: The vehicle's computer talks to the charging station via the CP pin. The charging station sends a specific...
  11. What features do you hope the Fathom might have?

    PS: I also made a 40A CCS1 to J1772 "adapter" by taking a J1772 extension cable and trimming a little bit of plastic off one end so it fits onto the CCS1 plug: So I can use my FCSP CCS1 to charge any J1772 vehicle up to 40A.
  12. What features do you hope the Fathom might have?

    Huh? That's exactly WHY you would want the dual port. J1772 for home AC charging with most existing home EVSEs which are J1772, and NACS for fast charging at Tesla and other NACS chargers. NACS natively CAN do AC charging, but most home EVSEs are not NACS, which is why a dual port would be...
  13. What features do you hope the Fathom might have?

    Dual charging port - J1772 and NACS, like the new Nissan's have: https://www.passportnissanva.com/going-electric --- Dual Port Charging Two ports means you're covered for most charging scenarios, no matter where you are. Your driver-side J1772 port is handy for routine charging at home or...
  14. FORD's failure to fix the ESCAPE PHEV is a problem for me. Trust FORD?

    The devil is in the details. When I bought my 2012 Leaf in Dec 2011, they advertised a 24kWh battery...truth is, only 21kWh of that 24kWh was actually available to use, the other 12,5% was protective buffers top and bottom. My 2023 Ford F-150 Lightning advertised as 98kWh which is the actual...
  15. Tim says fully loaded Fathom well below mid 30's

    Ah, thanks for the explanation, I see now a hybrid battery and short idling, good design for sure. Is all that 12v battery cycling hard on the 12v battery I wonder? They have been a weakness in the Lightnings barely lasting to the 3 year warranty expiration unless on a maintainer. I did see...
  16. Tim says fully loaded Fathom well below mid 30's

    Yes, I'm aware of the ICE powerboost where the PPOB originated. I never owned an ICE F-150 so I don't know the deets. True the ICE F-150 with powerboost can do the same thing, but while burning a lot more $$ in gasoline a in the process. But my bad for not mentioning that - mea culpa! But...
  17. Tim says fully loaded Fathom well below mid 30's

    Yes with the PPOB limited to 30A and HVAC compressor 'surge' current can exceed that. The slow start electronics are not cheap, but in the long run, they should also make the compressor last longer by reducing the max current at start up.
  18. Tim says fully loaded Fathom well below mid 30's

    On the Lightning forum, there are several folks who with soft-start circuits have run their HVAC off the PPOB 240V 30A (there is a peak number for the PPOB, but 30A is the running current).
Top