Search results

  1. Tim says fully loaded Fathom well below mid 30's

    Um...coffee, microwave, refrigerator !!!, lights, computer, telephones, TV, furnace fan, etc. That's the point. Sure you can't run it forever, but in an emergency, sure is nice! Some folks have medical equipment at home then need 24/7 so some emergency backup is a necessity. Being able to...
  2. Something Important, Say No to Door handles.

    The repair kit I found on Amazon I think had metal parts...it was b-word to install though, I ran out of swear words while doing it, lol.
  3. Wall Street Journal: Ford Wants to Sell 100,000 Fathoms in Year One

    If Ford is gearing up for 100k sales per year, I think it's doable. The Lightning delays had a lot to do with the COVID supply chain shut-downs, remember that? Ugh! Also drove the initial price up to ludicrous levels with dealer 'market adjustments' of up to $10k around here. So I waited, but...
  4. Wall Street Journal: Ford Wants to Sell 100,000 Fathoms in Year One

    They streamlined the workstations and parts for the Fathom, so it's possible. When a vehicle is hot, manufacturers often run 3 shifts a day. Supplying the parts and batteries would be the possible bottle necks...
  5. Tim says fully loaded Fathom well below mid 30's

    They incorporated other weight reduction features in the design besides the less wiring weight with the 48V electrical system, e.g., fewer fasteners, fewer parts overall, unicasting aluminum, with the design goal emphasizing efficiency, according to their public descriptions. The aerodynamics...
  6. Tim says fully loaded Fathom well below mid 30's

    If the numbers I saw are correct, the dc is about .3 for the Mach-e. which is comparable to my Leaf official number. Ford has said they are shooting for around .23 (using their goal of 27% better than competing EV trucks) so highway driving should be more efficient than the Mach-e if they meet...
  7. Tim says fully loaded Fathom well below mid 30's

    I hear ya, time will tell if they meet or exceed 3.5 miles/kWh, and the exact kWh battery size. I think it is doable based on engineering possibilities. For an example of what can be done with range by minimizing drag, look at the Aptera (soon to be in production).
  8. Tim says fully loaded Fathom well below mid 30's

    Congratulations in advance on owning an EV! The Leaf was way better protected than my 2023 Lightning Pro underneath. Lightning owners have had quite a few issues in that dept., from rodents or raccoons getting in and setting up shop chewing on wires or doing other havoc, to road debris...
  9. New video & photos: Ford Fathom in the Wild (Las Vegas detour during hot weather testing)

    Yes battery cell composition and safety buffers change the nominal operating voltage of an EV HVB. The Lightning HVB could reach over 390VDC if the system allowed it, however Ford limits with buffers and the nominal voltage is 360VDC plus or minus about 10 volts from what I have read - haven't...
  10. New video & photos: Ford Fathom in the Wild (Las Vegas detour during hot weather testing)

    HVB Voltage changes depending on how full the battery is. It reaches its highest voltage when fully charged (near 500V) and drops lower as the energy depletes (closer to 300V). 400V Battery Architecture Although the term might suggest otherwise, a 400-volt architecture doesn’t have a fixed...
  11. Tim says fully loaded Fathom well below mid 30's

    As for the price estimates and comparisons...usually dealers and companies refer to the MSRP. The MSRP on my stickers always included destination and delivery charges ($1995 for my Lightning I have seen $1595 for the Fathom quoted). But state sales taxes and fee vary among the states...
  12. Tim says fully loaded Fathom well below mid 30's

    It all depends on how well they did with the aerodynamics at reducing drag and weight reductions (using less copper etc) in their UEV platform design. Aerodynamics is more important than weight wrt efficiency at highway speeds (over 50 mph). Drag increases exponentially with speed, especially...
  13. Something Important, Say No to Door handles.

    Yes, and one requires electricity which may be OFF after a crash. But I had some issue with my old 2001 Ranger door cables and their plastic part that failed - yes it was over 20 years old at the time, but it was kind of a pain to DIY repair, though not expensive for the parts. Not complicated...
  14. Introductions & Welcome Thread đź‘‹

    Currently a 2012 Nissan Leaf and 2023 F-150 Lightning Pro SR owner. Previous Fords owned include: 1996 Crown Vic and 2001 Ranger 4.0L Edge I am an electrical engineer (MS 1989) and patent attorney (first admitted to practice law in Va in 1990), semi-retired at present. I have held a lot of...
Top