Fathom - Possible Midgate Patent - US 2025/0333118 A1

onuiebvbevnulib

Well-Known Member
First Name
Steve
Joined
Feb 25, 2026
Threads
15
Messages
107
Reaction score
124
Location
Coppell, TX
Vehicles
2023 Ford Maverick XLT Hybrid
Country flag
Last edited:

commadorebob

Well-Known Member
First Name
Bob
Joined
Aug 6, 2026
Threads
2
Messages
80
Reaction score
133
Location
Alabama
Vehicles
2025 Expedition Max Platinum; 2023 Maverick Lariat
Country flag
Meh. I'm still not a fan of it. I hope it is only an option and not standard.
 

Snakebitten

Well-Known Member
First Name
Bruce
Joined
Jun 10, 2026
Threads
0
Messages
130
Reaction score
170
Location
Coastal Texas
Vehicles
2022 F150 KingRanch Powerboost
Country flag
Didn't the Silverado already have something like that, the "multi-flex midgate?"

silverado modgate.webp


https://www.barryschevrolet.com/using-the-silverado-ev-multi-flex-midgate/
Yes, the Silverado/Sierra EV has the mid-gate on some trim levels. And although I wouldn't have insisted on having the option when I purchased my Denali, I now realize that I WOULD insist if I were to do it again. For beach camping, or even an impulse purchase of something that won't fit in the bed, it's a fantastic option that expands the utility of the truck.

I personally hope the Fathom has the option available, whether it is standard or not.
 

chl

Active Member
First Name
CHRIS
Joined
Aug 13, 2026
Threads
0
Messages
35
Reaction score
37
Location
alexandria virginia
Vehicles
2023 LIGHTNING PRO, 2012 Nissan Leaf, 2015 Toyota Prius, 2000 HD 883 Sportster
Country flag
Yes, the Silverado/Sierra EV has the mid-gate on some trim levels. And although I wouldn't have insisted on having the option when I purchased my Denali, I now realize that I WOULD insist if I were to do it again. For beach camping, or even an impulse purchase of something that won't fit in the bed, it's a fantastic option that expands the utility of the truck.

I personally hope the Fathom has the option available, whether it is standard or not.
It would be a nice feature.
The flip-book preview and the patent filings suggest it will be a feature of the Fathom.
Time will tell.
 

chl

Active Member
First Name
CHRIS
Joined
Aug 13, 2026
Threads
0
Messages
35
Reaction score
37
Location
alexandria virginia
Vehicles
2023 LIGHTNING PRO, 2012 Nissan Leaf, 2015 Toyota Prius, 2000 HD 883 Sportster
Country flag
Meh. I'm still not a fan of it. I hope it is only an option and not standard.
Were there problems with the midgate, such as water etc getting in to the cabin, or security issues in trucks with a midgate?

Ford has plenty of legacy water intrusion issues already in the F-150, hopefully gone from the Fathom.
 

commadorebob

Well-Known Member
First Name
Bob
Joined
Aug 6, 2026
Threads
2
Messages
80
Reaction score
133
Location
Alabama
Vehicles
2025 Expedition Max Platinum; 2023 Maverick Lariat
Country flag
Were there problems with the midgate, such as water etc getting in to the cabin, or security issues in trucks with a midgate?

Ford has plenty of legacy water intrusion issues already in the F-150, hopefully gone from the Fathom.
The fit and finish on my wife's top of the line Expedition looks a lot better than my top of the line Maverick. Another opening is another place where cheap labor practices can screw it up.
 

Snakebitten

Well-Known Member
First Name
Bruce
Joined
Jun 10, 2026
Threads
0
Messages
130
Reaction score
170
Location
Coastal Texas
Vehicles
2022 F150 KingRanch Powerboost
Country flag
The mid-gate in the Denali EV is not cheap. It is a lot of engineering. Even the back of the seats are engineered as truck bed surface that you would otherwise be completely unaware of until you fold them down. The mid-gate itself is configured to do a 60-40 split, so you can choose less than full opening. It's also has a horizontal split for opening only below the bed rail, or drop the entire wall and have the opening pictured above.

Like I said, a lot of engineering for avoiding NVH and weather protection. Expen$I've approach indeed.

I would suspect a much simplified version in the Fathom, if it has one.
 

mark

Well-Known Member
First Name
Mark
Joined
Aug 6, 2026
Threads
4
Messages
87
Reaction score
88
Location
florida
Vehicles
Escape
Country flag
Based on the desire to keep it simple, it should be as simple as they can make, it assuming it shows. It sounds like nice option for expanding cargo or camping options.
 

Basenji703

Member
First Name
Hank
Joined
May 10, 2026
Threads
0
Messages
10
Reaction score
20
Location
Virginia Beach
Vehicles
2021 Hybrid Accord, 2007 Honda Odyssey
Country flag
I am excited!!! It looks like I will be able to figure a way to transport a longboard without having to use a roof rack. However, the pictures on the patent show sort or mid length boards. this will be the replacement for my surf mobile.
 

ChasingCoral

Active Member
First Name
Mark
Joined
Jan 7, 2026
Threads
7
Messages
38
Reaction score
50
Location
Silver Spring, MD
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach E, 2022 F-150 Lightning
Country flag
Were there problems with the midgate, such as water etc getting in to the cabin, or security issues in trucks with a midgate?

Ford has plenty of legacy water intrusion issues already in the F-150, hopefully gone from the Fathom.
Considering a fathom is six feet under water, the possibility of water intrusion seems high. It'll certainly be noisier than a solid wall.
 
  • Haha
Reactions: chl

chl

Active Member
First Name
CHRIS
Joined
Aug 13, 2026
Threads
0
Messages
35
Reaction score
37
Location
alexandria virginia
Vehicles
2023 LIGHTNING PRO, 2012 Nissan Leaf, 2015 Toyota Prius, 2000 HD 883 Sportster
Country flag
Considering a fathom is six feet under water, the possibility of water intrusion seems high. It'll certainly be noisier than a solid wall.
Noisy, when closed?
I guess...if the bed is full of doubloons.

But seriously, a test drive will decide how noisy it is when it's closed.

One thing I'd wonder about is leaks in heavy rain etc. if no tonneau cover.

Some folks with F-150 Lightnings have had water leakage through the vent at the back of the rear seats it seems.

If the Fathom DOES include a midgate standard, then I hope they did a good job on it.
Since I rarely have humans or pets in the back seat, that space would be useful to me for longer lumber for example.
 

paneubert

Active Member
Joined
Aug 7, 2026
Threads
2
Messages
38
Reaction score
50
Location
Seattle
Vehicles
2025 Hybrid Maverick XLT/4K/AWD/CoPilot/Eruption Green
Country flag
I imagine a lot of the "will it leak" concerns would be addressed if the midgate closed on the interior of the truck "higher" than the back glass with a thick gasket. Like the door gaskets on the 4 doors. Then water from the bed would need to travel vertically against the wall of the bed (fighting gravity), then still make it past the gasket. How to prevent leaks at the sides and floor? Uhh.....I guess same thing probably. Beefy gaskets and liberal overlap with metal around the sides. Bottom "hinge" of midgate could be some sort of continuous but waterproof membrane that is part of the back few inches of the bed floor and continues all the way up the back wall of the bed? Who knows.

I could also see some sort of drain system at the interface of the bed floor and midgate. A path than allows any water that collects near the midgate seal to drain out the bottom of the truck versus pooling there and trying to enter the cabin.
 
 
Top