Farley says “It’s going to be a heck of an effort to launch this [Fathom] at scale, at cost, on time.”

onuiebvbevnulib

Well-Known Member
First Name
Steve
Joined
Feb 25, 2026
Threads
15
Messages
109
Reaction score
137
Location
Coppell, TX
Vehicles
2023 Ford Maverick XLT Hybrid
Country flag
I was hoping he would have said "hurled into space at a great speed". They gotta do something to one-up that Tesla stunt from a few years back. :)
Actually that "stunt" was pretty cool.

On February 6, 2018, SpaceX launched Elon Musk's personal cherry-red Tesla Roadster into space aboard the inaugural Falcon Heavy test flight.

Mission Details and "Starman"
  • The Payload: Elon Musk used his own 2008 Tesla Roadster as a dummy test mass instead of a boring block of concrete because he expected the experimental rocket to fail.
  • Starman: A mannequin wearing a SpaceX spacesuit sits in the driver's seat.
  • Live Stream: Cameras on the car streamed views of Starman with Earth in the background for a few hours before the batteries died.

Current Status in Space
  • Orbit: The car is in an elliptical heliocentric (Sun-centered) orbit that crosses the paths of Earth and Mars.
  • Location: You can track its estimated current distance and orbit progress in real-time using Where is Starman?.
  • Lifespan: Scientists expect the vehicle to remain in space for millions of years.
Complete Launch of Falcon Heavy Test Flight



Fairing Deploy & Starman (video queued just press play)

 
Last edited:

onuiebvbevnulib

Well-Known Member
First Name
Steve
Joined
Feb 25, 2026
Threads
15
Messages
109
Reaction score
137
Location
Coppell, TX
Vehicles
2023 Ford Maverick XLT Hybrid
Country flag
Don't believe the clickbait!

by Patrick Anderson

There are a couple of articles like this one that are hinting that the Fathom could be delayed. Jim Farley just said it is a "heck of a job" to get it launched on time and on budget. He didn't say anything about it being delayed. It is still on track for 2027!
 

commadorebob

Well-Known Member
First Name
Bob
Joined
Aug 6, 2026
Threads
2
Messages
83
Reaction score
139
Location
Alabama
Vehicles
2025 Expedition Max Platinum; 2023 Maverick Lariat
Country flag
Don't believe the clickbait!

by Patrick Anderson

There are a couple of articles like this one that are hinting that the Fathom could be delayed. Jim Farley just said it is a "heck of a job" to get it launched on time and on budget. He didn't say anything about it being delayed. It is still on track for 2027!
To be fair, that comment would apply even if Ford got it out early. It is a "heck of a job" to stand up a brand new production process.
 

Snakebitten

Well-Known Member
First Name
Bruce
Joined
Jun 10, 2026
Threads
0
Messages
131
Reaction score
174
Location
Coastal Texas
Vehicles
2022 F150 KingRanch Powerboost
Country flag
Nothing makes the Slatista happier than Fathom smack.

I'm not the least surprised that in our current culture that somehow the Fathom/Slate trucks have turned into yet another example of us vs them. But it's so strange that we are so willing to take the bait.

I've got 4 different shovels in the barn. Depending on the task, one shovel might be the better tool than the others. I personally might own BOTH a Slate and a Fathom. And honestly, one of the most exciting things about the possibility is that both combined would cost LE$$ than my F150.
 

commadorebob

Well-Known Member
First Name
Bob
Joined
Aug 6, 2026
Threads
2
Messages
83
Reaction score
139
Location
Alabama
Vehicles
2025 Expedition Max Platinum; 2023 Maverick Lariat
Country flag
Nothing makes the Slatista happier than Fathom smack.

I'm not the least surprised that in our current culture that somehow the Fathom/Slate trucks have turned into yet another example of us vs them. But it's so strange that we are so willing to take the bait.

I've got 4 different shovels in the barn. Depending on the task, one shovel might be the better tool than the others. I personally might own BOTH a Slate and a Fathom. And honestly, one of the most exciting things about the possibility is that both combined would cost LE$$ than my F150.
I used to get sucked up in the brand debates, but I grew up. I don't understand the need to hitch our wagons to a specific brand. Unless you literally work for Ford, you make no money carrying their water. As I tell my scouts, the best tool for the job is the best tool available. For now, my needs require a small truck that only Ford offers. In the future, my needs may require a different brand.

When my dad worked for Chrysler during the Daimler days, he told me that the only reason people are proud of their Mercedes is that they are too proud to admit they made a poor purchasing decision. In my life, I have been bitten too many times by brand loyalty and pride when there has been an objectively better option.
 

mark

Well-Known Member
First Name
Mark
Joined
Aug 6, 2026
Threads
4
Messages
88
Reaction score
92
Location
florida
Vehicles
Escape
Country flag
Well stated. When I was deciding on my last purchase, I wanted a smaller size SUV that could haul a small boat, less than 2000 pounds. The only options in 2014 were the Renegade and Subaru. Subaru at the time had an oil consumption problem that they failed to admit to or address. I held my breath, knowing the Jeep would have defects under warranty, and Bought the Renegade Trailhawk, which had a demonstrated transmission and engine combination. Note that i had owned Honda for 20 years successfully, low maintenance, 150,000 + miles with resale value at the time of sale. No regular Honda SUV at the time could tow a boat. Brand loyalty is a good concept, but features and benefits are what drive a purchase. The Bidirectional power function is a tilt toward the Fathom. Other wise a Maverick higher trim model would be my choice at this time. Right size, right features and benefits, right price range. The more they disclose, the more I like what I hear, read, and see.
 

atomguy245

Member
First Name
Doug
Joined
Aug 29, 2026
Threads
1
Messages
16
Reaction score
32
Vehicles
2022 Ford Maverick
Country flag
Maverick and Bronco owners have been through this already. The Fathom order books will open in early 2027, but production isn't starting until sometime later 2027. So few early adopters will have their Fathoms in 2027, most will be waiting until 2028 for their trucks
 

klossfam

Member
First Name
Jeff
Joined
Jul 4, 2026
Threads
0
Messages
5
Reaction score
10
Location
East Amherst, NY
Vehicles
2022 Ford F-150 Lighting Lariat ER, 2025 Ford Mach-E Premium
Country flag
I was hoping for the Fathom to hit in time for me to limit my 'Over 100K miles aka no more battery warranty' in my 2022 Lightning Lariat. Deciding whether to let it ride as I've been trouble free at 92,000 miles or flip it and approx $15K for a low mile 2023-2025 Lariat or Platinum.

Not having a pickup of some sort is not optional in my life with a house in Canada as well as the States and delivering for Roadie, etc. I like the idea of the compact truck (although the perfect truck size is the Ridgeline of which I owned 3). Just not willing to go back to a straight up ICE truck while I wait for the Fathom and/or more options.

I'd buy a HEV or PHEV if the manufacturers weren't just using the electric motors for more power vs real economy gains. I considered a Maverick Hybrid AWD (actually ordered a 2025) but I really needed 5K of towing and a more usable bed. That is where the Ridgeline shines even over half tons. Basically the same size bed but no wheel wells. Slightly shallower but much more usable in the real world.
 

DeluxeStang

Well-Known Member
First Name
Kev
Joined
Jul 2, 2026
Threads
4
Messages
72
Reaction score
105
Location
Utah
Vehicles
Maverick hybrid/ Ford explorer
Country flag
Honestly, Ford authority, that's the news outlet that really sparked this rumor, has been getting very clickbaity with their articles lately. Ford's CEO said global emissions targets were getting harder to meet, and they interpreted that as the mustang is gonna lose its V8 soon.

Meanwhile, far more credible sources, including Farley himself, have said the mustang is keeping a V8 as long as possible, as it should. It will like stick around at least for the next gen mustang which is arriving in 2028, maybe even for multiple mustang generations past the s650.

But FA has just been disingenious with how they present info lately.
 

ScooterAsheville

Well-Known Member
First Name
Scooter
Joined
Mar 15, 2026
Threads
0
Messages
105
Reaction score
197
Location
Asheville, NC
Vehicles
2022 Maverick XLT, 2022 Volvo XC40
Country flag
I'll take a CEO that acknowledges the scope of a challenge over one that constantly promises things by year's end, and consistently hasn't delivered on those promises a decade later (sound like anybody you might know?).
 
 
Top